Cacao is one of the most nutrient-dense plants on the planet.
But what does that mean for you?
Today we want to share about some of the minerals found in cacao, and what they actually do in the body.
The body has thousands of chemical reactions going on in each cell, every second of the day.
Vitamins and minerals are essential parts of those chemical reactions. Without them, essential body functions couldn't take place.
Relative to our daily intake, high quantities of the following minerals are found in cacao:
Magnesium- A co-factor in protein synthesis, muscle relaxation, and energy production.
- Involved in over 300 enzymatic reactions.
- Required for blood pressure regulation, nerve function, and blood sugar control.
Iron- Part of a molecule (haemoglobin) found in red blood cells that carries oxygen in the body.
- Essential for cognitive function, including memory, problem-solving, concentration, and learning Required for energy metabolism.
- Required for energy metabolism & DNA synthesis.
Zinc- Required for the activity of approximately 100 enzymes, and needed for making protein and genetic material.
- Plays a role in immune function, protein synthesis, wound healing, DNA synthesis, taste perception, production of sperm, and cell division.
- Also supports normal growth and development during pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence.
Copper- Is a co-factor for a number of enzymes.
- Required for many processes, including iron transport, neurotransmitter synthesis, glucose metabolism & energy production.
- Plays a key role in the synthesis and stabilisation of skin proteins.
Manganese- An essential trace mineral indispensable for bone formation and bone health in general.
- Vital as a co-factor in enzymes that facilitate metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
- Activates antioxidant enzymes, important in preventing free radical damage.
Relative to our daily intake, lower quantities of the following minerals are found in cacao:
- Calcium, phosphorous, potassium and selenium.
In conjunction with whole foods, trying cacao is a great way to begin nourishing your body with the nutrients it needs to perform at its best.